Sharing art experiences with our kids makes for wonderful childhood memories, family bonding, and quality family time together. That is the reason I am so pleasantly surprised that Bend has a very accessible local art scene and plenty of classes for adults and kids alike!
Coming from a big city where a lack of accessibility to the arts can often be a challenge, I am thrilled by the many options available to us here in Bend…
- Art Show Openings
- First Friday at multiple stores and galleries downtown
- Workshops and Events in creative artist’s working spaces like: The Wilds, Willow Lane Artist’s Creative Space, The Maker’s District, and local studios.
- Kid’s Classes at the Art Station.
- Last Saturday events at The Workhouse & Armature
Having a neighbor who is a working artist, with a home studio, that shows her artwork regularly in Bend is a bonus! MaryLea Harris is an inspiration and a constant reminder of the importance of introducing kids to art at an early age. With the lack of art programs in our public schools, exposing kids to local artists, art shows, and cultural events is even more important!
Above is a picture of MaryLea in her art studio. Photo credit: Marina Koslow Photography
Here is your chance to get up close and personal with the local art scene & meet MaryLea Harris, an AMAZING artist here in Bend…
- Friday, July 29th from 5-7 pm at Natural Edge Furniture (135 NE Norton Ave in the Maker’s District in Bend)
- Drinks, Food, Music
- New art by MaryLea Harris will be on display
- Gorgeous furniture made here in Bend
- Show will be up through late September
Below are a few examples of MaryLea’s artwork that will be on display:
“Summer Pond” 2016, MaryLea Harris, Acrylic on Canvas 48” x 60″
*BONUS…there will be a FREE hands-on craft “maker station” for the kids.
MaryLea has a background in arts education and enjoys providing hands on art opportunities for kids at her shows! She was an elementary art teacher before she decided to focus on her art career. She has a passion for sharing the arts with kids and developing their taste for art museums and cultural institutions. What a great way to get your kids involved in the local art scene!
MaryLea Harris is a parent, educator, author, and founder of Pink and Green Mama, an award-winning arts and crafts website for caregivers of young children. She is a visual artist specializing in painting, mixed media, sculptural books, and fiber arts.
With over 15 years in the field of Arts Education, MaryLea has degrees in Studio Art and Art History from Sweet Briar College with an emphasis in painting and printmaking. She holds an MFA from Virginia Commonwealth University in painting. Here are a few of her impressive accomplishments…
- She was a featured artist in Cascade A&E’s April 2015 issue
- She was awarded the Harry D. Forsyth Fellow at the Virginia Center for Creative Arts
- She has work in the permanent collection at Sweet Briar College
- She created a performance art piece at the 2015 TEDxBend event
- She was the featured artist for Simplicity Homes during the COBA Tour of Homes ’15 and ‘16
- She has exhibited her work at multiple galleries including Lubbesmeyer Art Studio, LUMIN Gallery, City Walls at City Hall, the Ellipse Arts Center, and the Lee Arts Center
Above is a picture of MaryLea and her girls at her Lubbesmeyer show last year during Art In the High Desert (another good opportunity to see art with your kids!).
MaryLea is an active member of the Central Oregon art community. She is the co-group organizer for the Women’s Artist Group of Bend, a member of the High Desert Art League, and shows her work regularly at First Friday events throughout Bend.
She maintains a sunny studio in Bend, Oregon, where she lives with her husband and two daughters, Emma and Claire. MaryLea is kept company by her studio cats, Hazel and Charlie, and rescued retired racing greyhounds, Pippi and Ginger, while she works.
She currently has other work on display at the Sunriver Lodge, Feather’s Edge downtown, FURNISH,Jay-T’s Hair Parlor, La Paw Veterinary Clinic, and the Tour of Homes house #1 (Simplicity Model in Shevlin).
The “Layers & Edges” Art Show Opening Reception on Friday will be a fun event for the entire family! We plan to bring our kiddos for a fun hands-on art experience while we enjoy food, drinks, live music, and MaryLea’s beautiful artwork. We hope to see you there…Living the Bend Life!